Our Client, a leading high-street Retailer, specialising in homewares and household goods is looking for a packaging Technologist to join their team.
The Packaging Technologist is responsible for the technical development and delivery of the full end to end process of primary, secondary & tertiary packaging.
The candidate must have expertise and knowledge of packaging manufacturing & print processes along with experience in New Product Development. They will have an extensive knowledge of packaging materials, and in particular plastics, which will enable them to deliver the packaging strategy and implement consistently in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Key accountabilities include:
• Support in delivering the Packaging Strategy.
• Full end to end supply chain packaging development (primary, secondary & tertiary) including design, material specification, concept testing, quality evaluation, artwork management, test criteria, project management etc. Covering all routes to market e.g. in store/online orders/direct.
• Responsible for all packaging aspects of project delivery.
• Cost management throughout project delivery and implementation.
• Deliver the Packaging CSR agenda and identify suitable routes to market to support the CSR story.
• Manage and deliver Continuous Improvement projects working cross-functionally with internal and external global suppliers.
• Deliver the strategy to reduce packaging utilisation and waste
• Influence, support and deliver a Specification Management System and build the database
• Global Supplier management – Build relationships with key packaging suppliers utilised across the Sourcing network in order to establish/generate essential data requirements to support legislation and specification building.
• Create standardization across packaging formats that creates uniformity and drives commercial
Skills & Expertise:
•Creative approach to designing structural packaging concepts for product and transit.
• Technical ability to take concepts through development & specification, creating briefs to send to manufacture.
• Proficient at using Industry standard software. • Knowledge of test methods and technical standards.
• Knowledge of packaging CSR and legislation.
• Must have detailed understanding of materials and how to utilise these to value engineer packaging formats. • Understand the cost of printing, packaging materials and production and engineer the packaging to meet a cost price.
• Ability to present packaging concepts to cross functional stakeholders to gain approval.
• Excellent planning and organisation skills with the ability to manage conflicting priorities and meet tight deadlines.
• Work effectively in collaboration cross-functionally to achieve shared goals and deliver business objectives. • Good project management skills with the ability to lead projects to completion and provide hands on support as appropriate.
• Strong communication and influencing skills.
• Graduate with experience in a packaging technical discipline e.g. Engineering/Design/Packaging Technology within an FMCG environment or equivalent
• Professional qualification to Institute of Packaging Diploma preferable but not essential