Our Client, a leading High Street Furniture Retailer, one of the fastest growing Retail Companies in the UK is looking to recruit a Senior Product Technologist for Furniture.
It will be the responsibility of the Senior Product Technologist to ensure that all current and development ranges are legally compliant to the most up to date, relevant standards, and consistently meet internal quality standards for products made in the UK, Europe and the Far East.
Being a ‘team player’ is absolutely essential as well as being a clear, concise communicator demonstrating leadership qualities as you operate within the business building strong relationships as quickly as possible ensuring you promote the QA department as a technical knowledge base.
The Senior Product technologist focus will be working closely with New Product Development and Design teams to ensure all technical and quality elements of new products are covered in a timely fashion, to standards and communicated to suppliers and offshore team.
Defining Quality Standards
- Manage European and Far East end to end quality processes from source to end customer.
- Preparing all samples, swatches, and related documentation to define the quality standard for each product. You must work with the Far East team to complete these elements of the QA process.
- Ensure detailed Technical Specifications are prepared and approved by our factories and according to the critical path deadlines.
- Technical drawings are critical and you will need to work closely with the Design Team to ensure drawings are completed to the required standard effectively communicated to the factory and ensuring a ‘factory version’ is also signed off and kept on file.
- Defect Classification Lists and quality limit samples are essential for defining the quality of products.
- Analyse and report back return rates and work with relevant parties to improve quality standards.
- Work closely with supply base to ensure continuous improvements are made to the quality of merchandise.
- In-line Inspections
- Final Inspection Reports
- First Order Reports
- Implement a product testing programme that meets industry standards regarding safety and general specification
- Ensure appropriate testing is carried out and samples are approved against technical standards
- Keep up to date on all relevant legislation and standards specific to categories in all regions
- Ensure all Testing Protocols are understood and are reviewed regularly.
- Work with test houses in the Far East and UK to cross reference and feedback where appropriate.
- Full detailed risk assessments must be carried out on all products ensuring that all relevant testing is specified.
- Risk assess all new products and create First Sample Inspection reports, ensure FSI’s are agreed with Suppliers
Cross Departmental Support
- Liaise between purchasing and sales teams to communicate any concerns or disruptions in delivery schedules due to quality issues
- Ensure all new and existing factories are compliant with CSR regulations
- Carry out all factory audits in line with legal requirement
- Keep up to date with CSR developments
- Roll out best practices across all suppliers
- Sample Sealing
- Manage relationship with external bodies such as Trading Standards, independent test houses and 3rd party repair providers
Credits & Debits
- Manage the claims process to ensure costs are recovered for manufacturing claims, 3rd party repairs/reworks and logistics damages.
- Ensure Product Technologists are developed in terms of their knowledge of the subject matter, auditing, knowledge of testing, ability to carry out all forms of inspection, etc.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A degree or equivalent within a relevant subject specifically furniture and joinery with experience in a QC management role,
- Proven experience of setting up and managing a QC function
- Highly organized
- Excellent communication skills
- Good Excel and Word skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good commercial awareness
- Previous management experience desired
- Ability to think laterally and problem solve
For more information about our current job opportunities please contact us on 0845 226 8323. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin.